Click here to access the full Corridor Management Plan and supporting documents.
The Minnesota Mississippi River Parkway Commission (MN-MRPC), Legislative Coordinating Commission and Minnesota Department of Transportation are grateful for the input, assistance and support provided by partners and byway travelers during development of the 2016 Minnesota Great River Road Corridor Management Plan (CMP). The Corridor Management Plan for Minnesota’s Great River Road is a comprehensive plan to guide the work of the Commission and our partners including priorities for investment and marketing.
- The CMP includes thematic goals, objectives, and strategies that support the mission of the MN-MRPC by recommending ways to preserve, promote and enhance the scenic, historic and recreational resources of the Mississippi River, to foster economic growth in the corridor and to develop the national, scenic and historic byway known as the Great River Road during the next 15 years.
- The CMP is organized around five goals, 15 objectives, and 90+ specific strategies; and also includes a business plan, communications plan and facilities management plan.
- The public shared 215 river stories, 543 “can’t miss” attractions and 99 favorite river views as part of the process.
- The plan was developed in collaboration with local governments, local destination marketing organizations, tourism-related river resource managers, and other partners.
- The plan documented byway attributes and includes strategies to help the Minnesota Mississippi River Parkway Commission and its partners provide and promote a superior byway travel experience and improve the quality of life locally, while maintaining the archaeological, cultural, historic, natural, recreational, and scenic intrinsic resources that enrich it.
Four initial action items were identified to meet the most urgent needs and move toward accomplishment of the greatest number of strategies. Here they are, along with an update on progress…
- Wayshowing Signage – the entire Minnesota Great River Road was resigned in 2018 to help travelers better follow the route, after the plan identified 54% of the signage as missing or needing maintenance.
- Plan Your Trip Interactive Mapping Tool (for travelers) – an online map/app is now available at www.mnmississippiriver.com, including over 700 specific resources that were identified, described and mapped along the byway. The Minnesota Great River Road spans 565 miles, six destination areas, 20 counties, 43 communities, and three tribes.
- Plan Your Project Interactive Mapping Tool (for byway and resource managers) – this tool expanded on the information available in Plan Your Trip and is in development stages with training and usage information also being developed for partners.
- Great River Road Ambassador Development – launching in 2020 and 2021, this effort will provide tools and training to partners along the byway.
The MN-MRPC looks forward to continuing work to improve the experience for Great River Road travelers, residents and partners alike; while celebrating the magic that is the Mighty Mississippi River!